Monday, November 3, 2014

Historical Sewing meets SFX Makeup | Halloween 2014


This year I was lucky enough to wear not one, but TWO Halloween costumes! I'm from Australia and Halloween up until a few years ago was not a big thing at all. Whilst we don't do anything like trick o' treating, a lot of people do hold Halloween parties and I was invited to two events this year. As someone who sews historical clothing but never actually has anywhere to wear it, I jumped at the chance to spook up my sewing projects and go to both. I decided to go as a French Revolution guillotine victim and a late nineteenth century vampire. Here were the results...

French Revolution Guillotine Victim Halloween Costume


Otherwise known as the 'Marie Antoinette Guillotine' Costume I decided to put my not-very-historically-accurate 18th century floral gown that I made a few years ago to the test. 



Can you believe that this is actually the first time I've ever worn it anywhere? Crazy!

I completed the look with some very historically correct 1760-80s paniers underneath the dress.


No French Revolution guillotine victim costume would be complete without a guillotine wound, so I put my special effects makeup skills to the test. To do this I first washed and dried my neck and applied Mehron 3D gel.

TIP: This stuff is really good but as I found out later on in the evening not made for hot and humid weather. By the end of the party my neck wound was starting to fall off due to the humidity. I'll definitely use it again but only in cold weather. 

I applied it in layers and when it was nearly dry I ripped it to appear like an open wound. I then powdered it with a transparent setting powder. For my face I used a foundation shade that was a shade lighter than my skin colour currently is at the moment, I brought this down onto my neck and used a sponge to dab it onto the 3D gel wound in order to blend it better with my real skin.  


Next I used a dark wine-red coloured lipstick and filled in the wound. I also applied some of this to a sponge and dabbed it around the wound area. Afterwards I took a grey/brown coloured eyeshadow and used a sponge to dab this around as well to create a bruising type effect. Putting some of this eye shadow on a fluffy makeup brush and creating shadows underneath the would also helped it to look more 3D.

Then I took some fake blood and added this around the wound. Until I got something like this


The important thing to remember when doing this is to have a light hand and slowly build up colour and depth in different areas so it looks realistic. After, I watered down the blood a bit and added some more so it ran down my next. 


For the hair I curled it with hot sticks and teased it. I then took a hair doughnut like the one below and pinned it to the crown of my head. 


Then I began to pin the teased hair, section by section, into it. I took another doughnut, cut it in half and placed it at the top-front of my head. Then I pinned the sections of hair near my forehead over it and into the doughnut at the back. This was to give the front section a bit of body. Then I added A LOT of hairspray. 

Mrs Graham by Thomas Gainsborough, c. 1775. National Art Gallery, Washington
Portrait of a Lady with a Book, Next to a River Source, by Antoine Vestier, 1785

Although my hair wasn't nearly as voluminous as the hair in the portraits above (for which they would have used either lots of hair pieces or wigs), in the late 18th century the fashion was to have almost grey looking powdered hair, so I finished it off with a temporary white coloured hairspray. Don't use too much, you don't want your hair to look white just powdered!.  I left two small sections at the bottom of my head out of the updo and curled them and let them hand down. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the back of my head except this blurry one, oops!



And here is the finished costume!





My friend Eloise in an authentic WWII nurse's costume that she bloodied up the apron for Halloween *gasp!* (Although she assures me it will come out with bleach) helping Marie Antoinette get (un)dressed.


Late Nineteenth Century Vampire


For the second Halloween party I went to I had a lot less time to get ready so I didn't bother doing any special effects makeup. 

For the hair I didn't have the time or skills to do an extravagant late nineteenth century hairstyle. After looking a few historical images I simply took my hair doughnut and pinned it to the back of my head. I then took the top sections of my hair and twirled them around the doughnut then pinned them inside. With the bottom section I plaited it and then lifted it up and pinned it into the doughnut, like this


Then it came time to put in the red contact lenses that I bought. This took forever. I haven't used contacts for a very long time. I hate even putting eye drops in my eyes so it was hard for me to get them in, mainly because they kept sticking to my fingers instead of my eyeball! Anyway I eventually got them it.

Then I had to put in the fangs. I bought a pair of small Scarecrow Vampire Fangs that you mould to your own teeth. I didn't have a lot of time to do it and next time I wear them I'll have to tidy up the adhesion putty a bit, but overall they were great. I could even talk and drink in them so that's a plus!

Apologies for the super creepy snapchat picture but it's the only close up I got of my face
All I had to do then was put on my 1880s Bustle Gown (with a quickly sewn up bum pad) and corset, and here's the finished costume!



Thanks to my housemate Rachel for being my victim, haha

And that's it! I hope you all had a spook-tastic Halloween! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment